2017-18 Artist Program
Programa de Artistas (artist program), 2017-18
mid-March–mid-December 2017 (classes) + March-June 2018 (projects follow up and final exhibition)
Application deadline: February 17th, 2017
Universidad Torcuato Di Tella, Departamento de Arte, Av. Figueroa Alcorta 7350, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
In keeping with the spirit of experimentation that made the Instituto Torcuato Di Tella mythical as one of the most advanced interdisciplinary creative centers of the sixties, the Programa de Artistas of the Universidad Torcuato Di Tella in Buenos Aires is a year-and-a-half program that provides visual artists, critics, and curators with an intensive experience in which to reflect on and produce contemporary art.
The ninth edition of the program has three fundamental features:
– A group of approximately eighteen artists and six curators/critics. The aim of this coexistence is to provide a unique opportunity for exchange whereby the practices and positions pivotal to the arts are explored critically in the framework of an intense and shared experience of discussion and collaboration.
– The program includes, in the first year, two central seminars: one geared to reflection on the work of each participant; and one reading seminar on various topics pertinent to current artistic production in a broader cultural, philosophical and social context. In the third semester (March-June 2018), the group will work on the follow up of their final exhibition projects.
– The program's faculty includes outstanding professors from Buenos Aires and abroad. In 2017, the faculty will consist of Carlos Huffmann, Santiago García Navarro, Graciela Speranza, María Gainza, Diego Bianchi, Leticia Obeid, Reinaldo Ladagga, Ivo Mesquita, Lara Marmor, Marianna Garín, Karina Peisajovich and Mariela Scafati, among others.
Recent visiting professors include Maria Lind, Tobías Ostrander, Juan Gaitán, Lars Bang Larsen, Martí Manen, Raimundas Malasauskas, Jason Dodge, Carlos Amorales, Renata Lucas, Paulo Herkenhoff, Santiago Sierra, Sofía Hernández Chong Cuy, Sergio Muñoz Sarmiento, Bruce Altshuler, Chus Martínez, and Cuauhtémoc Medina.
- All courses are in Spanish
- Enrollment: approximately 18 artists and six critics/curators
- Application: applicants are selected by a faculty committee. There are no specific requirements or limitations in terms of area of background; the program is open to participants from other areas of the arts interested in exploring contemporary art.
- Tuition: tuition is subsidized in the interest of making the program accessible to a broad range of individuals from Argentina and abroad.
- Resources: the Programa de Artistas provides participants with a group studio space (for the first year); access to the university's library; access to the archives of the Instituto Di Tella; equipment for video editing; and access to a carpentry workshop (upon request). Parallel to the program, the Departamento de Arte organizes a series of exhibitions, lectures, and symposia geared toward furthering exchange with the wider art community.